What the Wenches are Reading.

Happy Hump Day, readers! The Wenches have been reading quite a bit this week! Hopefully, we'll be reviewing stuff for you and gently persuading you to give our recommendations a go! Lots of series, a few old favorites, a classic or two, and even a couple of new releases! We've got it all covered! 

Click through to see what we've been reading! 



Angela: This week I finished The Dragon’s Path (The Dagger and the Coin #1) by Daniel Abraham. I really enjoyed it. It was interesting to read a fantasy book where banking played a central role. The reader also gets to witness the change of a character who at first you do wonder if they are going to amount to anything. It was fascinating. I’ll be reading the next book The King’s Blood in October. Now I’m onto The Last Mortal Band (Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne #3) and I’m super delighted that I’ll actually finish a series. I have so many on the go that knocking one off is going to be wonderful. I am also reading The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) by Agatha Christie in my lunchtimes. I’m so glad that I’m finally reading Christie. Thank you so much Zee for the wonderful recommendation. She sure knows what I like to read, even when I don’t know if I will like something.

Anne: I’ve been on a Supernatural fanfiction binge recently. I think that’s going to continue for awhile. But, I might turn back to my reread of the Chicagoland Vampire series. We’ll see what I decide, which really means, what my brain decides it wants to read. In audio book news, I finished Written In My Own Heart’s Blood which I absolutely adored! I think it might be one of my favorites of the series. Now, I join the ranks of fans not so patiently waiting for book #9, Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone. I have moved on in my listen to Chloe Neill’s The Veil. I wanted to reread it before reading the newest release in the series, The Sight. Basically, I’ll be living in a totally Chloe Neill world for the next week or so.

Barb: You guys!!! I read! I read a whole book, and I’m almost finished with a second! I’m so happy. And they are books I’ve never read before. And I have a plan for my next book as well. Here’s hoping I’m a reader again. So, I finished It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover, which I reviewed here. And now I’m almost done with El Diablo by M. Robinson. I’m completely riveted, but the book has a few issues. We’ll see how it wraps up. Next I’m hoping to track down I’m Judging You by  Luvvie Ajayi, of her hilarious blog/FB/Twitter/you name it, Awesomely Luvvie. I love her blog so much that I can’t wait to dive into the book that released yesterday. 

Care: This week I've been reading Ghost Story by Jim Butcher! I'm super excited, things are starting to take off, and I'm really sad I haven't had more time to sit and read than I have! 

Donna: I haven’t had a lot of reading time lately, but I picked up Lost and Found by Brooke Davis whenever I have a few moments. I’m a little torn about this one, to tell the truth. My mom genes have kicked into high gear and want to kick Millie’s mom in the stuffing. Part of me wants to stop reading, but I really need to know that this poor girl is going to be okay.

Kathi: I’m still rereading and listening to The Stand. Stephen King is totally creeping me out, and I love it! Though I’m finding it’s not a good book to read right before bedtime…    
   
Merit: I continue my YA fantasy reading with Shadow and Bone, the first book in The Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. I love the plot, the strong characters, the dark atmosphere, and the world building: this time the fantasy land, names, and food are Russian oriented, which I found refreshing. Looking now for book #2.

Zee: So I started rereading old fave romances and erotica to get my reading gears running again. And I've realized stuff I read a couple of years ago might not appeal to me anymore. I won't name names, but when the hero started celebrating the leading lady for not being like those "skinny, tall women" or for having soft hair instead of rough, flat ironed hair (?) like all those other women, and other such wonderful crap, I was just like, yeah, nope. So I went back to something I KNEW I would love no matter how many times I read it, and I know you guys expect me to say Alisha Rai (because I love those books) but I actually started Courtney Milan's Brothers Sinister series which I LOVE so damn much. Started with The Governess Affair and making my way to my FAVORITE The Countess Conspiracy. Sigh. Violet and Sebastian, you guys. 

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)